...from a BookLover

Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Joys of Summer Vacation

It has been years since the last time I was back home during the summer months. Since we bought our house in the south of Norway, my family has been visiting us instead for a couple of weeks each summer. This time, however, it is the other way around. Which is nice. I have been looking forward to spending the days outside in the sun with a book, quarreling a tiny bit with my brothers and sister (just for old times sake), visiting my grandparents, catching up with friends, meeting my godson again and so on. There are some new family members to get to know and a new little hut to visit with friends. My boyfriend will enjoy fishing with his dad and I will watch some movies with my mum and sister. Now, we are supposed to do some work on my parents' house as well - but hey, that can prove fun, too!

A quite different task that is awaiting me back home is sifting through my boxes... My mum recently excavated a lot of stuff from the storage room that we are now going to redecorate. I sincerely mean "excavated", because oh my! was there a lot of stuff in there! She found my mineral collection, boxes with (for the moment) unidentifiable items, heaps of random stuff and...my childhood books!

My mum always read a lot for us when we were kids. So, obviously, we do have a lot of children's books. I love them all dearly, so I am bringing a lot of them with me to my house. This summer I am hoping to find the most treasured ones, too: There are two children's books I remember distinctly from when I was very little - they were my all-time favourites. When I was about ten years old, we moved house. As I was rather through with reading them at this age, I packed them down in a box - and I have never seen them again. Quite the mystery. Surely, they have to be in one of my boxes somewhere? I do hope I will find them. Fingers crossed!

You guys might remember them from your childhood? One was a Postman Pat book, and the other one a Norwegian Trolls' book:
"Trolls" by Rolf Lidberg - I love the pictures!

Two weeks will pass too quickly, I predict, so it will be time to head home before I know it. Luckily my family will join us in our home for a whole third week. It will be a good summer!

Oh, by the way - I have brought these books with me as my holiday reads - hopefully there will be plenty of happy reading moments in the days ahead 


"One day" by David Nicholls



What are you bringing with you on your summer vacation?

"The Little Giant of Aberdeen County" by Tiffany Baker



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...